Otter Tail County is celebrating 150 years … of what?
2018 marks the 150th anniversary of the county. On September 12, 1868, commissioners held their first official meeting in Clitherall, thereby officially establishing Otter Tail County.
Why is this important?
“When a society or civilization perishes, one condition can always be found. They forgot where they came from.” – Carl Sandburg
This milestone provides an opportunity to reflect on our county’s past as well as celebrate our culture and future. Sandburg’s quote is a simple reminder that without an understanding of our history, of who we are and were we came from, we can lose our identity.
What’s going on?
Several signature events are taking place, including:
- Otter Tail County- ON ICE! (February 2 – 4, 2018)
A weekend kick-off event for the 150th Anniversary. This outdoor weekend celebration has something for everyone, including the world’s largest Super Bowl party on ice. Learn more at OTConIce.com
- Official 150th Anniversary County Board Meeting (September 12, 2018)
Join the Otter Tail County Board in Clitherall for the OFFICIAL 150th proclamation and recognition.
- Connecting Otter Tail County (September 14 – 16, 2018)
PlaceBase Productions in partnership with the Otter Tail County Historical Society, will turn 3-4 county communities into a stage exploring the history, stories, legends and lore of Otter Tail County.
In addition, the Otter Tail County Historical Society is planning a yearlong series of community based programs, tours and exhibitions. Learn more about OTCHS 150th events at OTCHS.org.
How to get involved?
- Create a new event that celebrates our county. A grant program administered by the OTCHS can be accessed by non-profit organizations for 150th related activities.
- Attend the signature events!
- Participate in the OTCHS 150th Series.
- Donate. Your financial support is tax deductible!
- Help promote the 150th Anniversary. Tell your friends and relatives!
- Follow and share us on social media.