The earthen fort was constructed in July 1876 in response to rumors that American Indians were attacking homesteads and villages in the region. Even though no attack was imminent, Tordenskjold township pioneers chose to complete the fort for future protection. It was reportedly used for several nights a few years later following another rumor of impending Indian attack. The remains of the earthen barricade are still visible on this site. Additional information on historic Fort Juelson may be found at the Otter Tail County Historical Society in Fergus Falls.